How gum grafting from your periodontist in Greensburg, and Johnstown, PA,
Gum recession can cause a lot of problems including sensitive teeth, and an unappealing smile. The good news is, there is a procedure that can combat the effects of receding gums. It’s called gum grafting, and your periodontist is an expert at the procedure.
Dr. Anthony Marchionno is a periodontist who offers a wide range of periodontal and implant services. He has two convenient locations in Greensburg, and Johnstown, PA, to help you and your smile.
When you have receding gums, it means your gums have slipped down lower towards the root tips of your teeth. More of your tooth roots are exposed, making your teeth appear longer than they actually are. As the roots of your teeth become more exposed, the teeth can become sensitive to hot and cold. Root exposure also causes your smile to appear less attractive and less balanced.
Receding gums are caused by a number of factors, including:
- Poor tooth alignment
- Poor oral hygiene
- Bad oral hygiene technique
- Brushing with a hard toothbrush
- Gum or periodontal disease
- Orthodontic treatment
- Chronic clenching or grinding your teeth
- Wearing poorly fitting dental appliances
- Poorly contoured dental restorations
- Individual tooth characteristics
The gum grafting procedure can add gum tissue back where it belongs, covering up your teeth and making your smile more attractive. There are several types of gum grafting, including:
- Free gingival grafting; taking donor gum tissue from the surface of your palate and attaching it to the area of gum recession.
- Connective tissue grafting; taking donor gum tissue from underneath the surface of your pallet and attaching it to the area of gum recession.
- Dermal matrix grafting; using medical donor tissue from a laboratory and attaching it to the area of gum recession.
Your periodontist can help you decide on the right type of grafting to achieve optimal results. Gum grafting can help your smile because it will:
- Protect your tooth roots from decay
- Limit or eliminate tooth sensitivity
- Improve the appearance of your smile
- Improve the stability and support of your teeth
To learn more about how gum grafting can help your smile, call Dr. Anthony Marchionno. You can reach him in Greensburg, PA at (724) 836-2911, or Johnstown, PA, at (814) 262-7000, so call today!